As we have been researching with honest exegeses end times theme from Scripture, what is popular is not necessary Biblical. What is best? Just read the Bible yourself and do not insert what people who do not read the Bible to tell you how to think what it says or tell you what it says…. What Revelation really teaches is far more powerful and impacting than what is popularly proclaimed.
From the Books
- “The Early Church Fathers”
- The Shepherd of Hermas, 2; 23:5.(An early Church Father whom many say came up with this theory)
- Blackstone, William. Jesus is Coming (1878). Now published by Kregel (1989).
- Boyer, Paul. When Time Shall Be No More: Prophecy Belief in Modern American Culture (Cambridge, MA: Belknap Press, 1992), page 75.
- Benware, Paul. Understanding End Times Prophecy: A Comprehensive Approach (Chicago: Moody Press, 1995), pages 197-198.
- Ice, Tommy. “Morgan Edwards: A Pre-Darby Rapturist,” The Conservative Theological Journal, April 1997, pages 4-12.
- Denny, Timothy J. and Ice, Thomas D. “The Rapture and an Early Medieval Citation,” Bibliotheca Sacra, July-September 1995
- LaHaye, Tim. “Target Number One,” Pre-Trib Perspectives, September 2002, pages 1-3.
- Lindsey, Hal, The Rapture, Bantam Books (1983), p. 25
- Gundry, Robert, “The Church and The Tribulation”, Zondervan (1973)
- Scofield, C. I. The Scofield Study Bible (London: Oxford University Press, 1909).
- Larkin, Clarence. Dispensational Truth (Philadelphia, 1920).
- Keeley, Robin, Eerdmans’ Handbook to Christian Belief, Wm B Eerdmans Publishing, (1982), p.415
- Lindsey, Hal. The Late Great Planet Earth (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 1970).
- LaHaye Tim and Jenkins, Jerry. The Left Behind book series.
- Chris Nelson. (2002–06-18). “A Brief History of the Apocalypse; 1971 – 1997: Millennial Madness” Retrieved on 2007–06-23.
- MacPherson, Dave. The Unbelievable Pre-Trib Origin (Heart of America Bible Society, 1973).
- MacPherson, Dave. The Incredible Cover-Up: Exposing the Origins of the Rapture Theories (Plainfield, NJ: Logos 1975)
- Rosenthal, Marv: “The Pre-Wrath Rapture of the Church: Is It Biblical?”, Regular Baptist Press (1991)
- Snobelen, Stephen D., Isaac Newton and Apocalypse Now. 2007
- “The World Did Not End Yesterday”, Boston Globe(Associated Press), 1992–10-29.
- Walvoord , John, “The Rapture Question, 1957.”
From the Web:
16. http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/blrapture.htm (this is here because it is funny and make an excellent sermon illustration to this article)
1. Richard J Krejcir. Into Thy Word. “Into Thy Word Bible Study Method.” Writers Club Press. 2000.
2. Augustine. The City of God
3. Calvin, John. The Institutes of the Christian Religion
4. The Works of Early Church Fathers
5. The Works Eusebius
6. The Works of Justin
7. The Works of Josephus
8. Alan Johnson, Expositors Bible Commentary, I, II, Revelation. Zondervan. 1981, 1994.
9. Arthur Ogden, The Avenging Of The Apostles & Prophets, Ogden Publications, 1985
10. Barclay, William. Daily Study Bible: The Revelation of John. John Knox Press, 1977
11. Caird, G.B. Harper’s New Testament Commentaries: Revelation of St John, Hendrickson Publishers, 1987
12. Charles, R.H. International Critical Commentary: Revelation of St John, 1920
13. Craig S. Keener. The IVP Bible Background Commentary. Inter Varsity Press. 1993.
14. The Expositors Greek Testament, Eerdmans, 1979
15. Foy E. Wallace Jr., The Book Of Revelation, Wallace Publications,1966
16. G.B. Caird, A Commentary on the Revelation of Saint John the Devine, Harper and Row, 1966
17. Gerhard Krodel, Revelation, Augsburg, 1989
18. G.R. Beasley-Murray, The Book of Revelation, Eerdmans NCB, 1978
19. Halley’s Bible Handbook. Regency. 1927.
20. Hodge, Charles. Systematic Theology, Hendrickson, 1999
21. J. Dwight Pentecost, Things to Come, Zondervan, 1958
22. Jerome H Smith, Ed. The New Treasury of SCRIPTURE Knowledge. Thomas Nelson. 1992.
23. Jim McGuiggan, The Book Of Revelation, Montex, 1976
24. John F. Walvoord, Revelation, Bible Knowledge Commentary, Victor Books, 1983.
25. George Eldon Ladd, A Theology of the New Testament, rev. ed. ed. Donald A. Hagner, Eerdmans, 1993
26. Merill C. Tenney, Interpreting Revelation, Eerdmans, 1957
27. The Moffatt, New Testament Commentary: Revelation of St John, Eerdmans, 1997
28. Morris, Leon. Tyndale New Testament Commentaries: Revelation of St John, Tyndale, 1969, 1984
29. New Geneva Study Bible. Thomas Nelson. 1995.
30. Philip Schaff, History Of The Christian Church, Vol. I, Eerdmans, 1910,1985
31. R.C. Sproul. Essential Truths of the Christian Faith. Tyndale. 1992.
32. Sturgeon’s Devotional Bible. Baker Books. 1964.
33. Warren Wiersbe. With the Word. Oliver Nelson. 1991.
34. Research at the Scholarly Archives at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, CA;Years of study & teaching notes;Seminary notes; Prayer
Richard Joseph Krejcir is the Founder and Director of “Into Thy Word Ministries,” a missions and discipling ministry. He is the author of several books including, Into Thy Word, and A Field Guide to Healthy Relationships. He is also a pastor, teacher, and speaker. He is a graduate of Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California (M.Div.) and holds a Doctor of Philosophy in Practical Theology in London, England (Ph.D). He has garnered over 20 years of pastoral ministry experience, mostly in youth ministry, including serving as a church growth consultant.
© 1992-2008, Richard J. Krejcir Ph.D. Into Thy Word Ministries www.intothyword.org
After a lot of careful, biblical, exegetical digging and research, I found out the scary story. The Rapture had gone from a campy hook used by evangelists to grab people’s attention to the Gospel to it perhaps becoming a threat to the Church. So many false teachers are gaining so much ground on this and inflecting their misguided influence upon average church members as well as prominent ministers of the Word. Too many people are being duped into false Eschatology, while real, biblical Eschatology is ignored. This has resulted in the local church having a skewed mentality, majoring on the minors and ignoring the majors.
So, let me lay this out for you: all you have to do, if you are honest and you know how to read is to read the Scriptures, pray, and see for yourself.
I have found that a lot of Bible teachers on this subject have no credibility and/or ignore the very teaching of our Lord! They just quote others as fact and do not do the research or else they make grandiose statements without concern for the integrity of the Word. Many on this subject lift themselves up, saying they have a new teaching, when God’s Word remains the same yesterday, today and tomorrow! By the way; this is how it all started. While we start coming up with new doctrines not found in the Bible, there has come an assault from the academic world. The Bible has been at siege since the 19th century liberal moment, and now the siege is coming from inside the church, from ignoring truth and common sense in reading the text and seeing the clear meaning in its context. We must deal with attacks from the secular world, but I believe we should not have to deal with it from within.